Was Jerimiah and American Pt. II

This is a follow up to the other post by the same name. Specifically, I want to let the scripture do most of the talking this time. I think it can bring much heavier conviction than I ever could.

Jeremiah 2:13
for my people have committed two evils:
they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters,
and hewed out cisterns for themselves,
broken cisterns that can hold no water.

18:7-10, 12
If at any time I declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, and if that nation, concerning which I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I intended to do to it. And if at any time I declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, and if it does what is evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will relent of the good that I had intended to do to it...But they say, "That is in vain! We will follow our own plans, and will every one act according to the stubbornness of his evil heart."

22:8-9
And many nations will pass by this city, and every man will say to his neighbor, "Why has the Lord dealt thus with this great city?" And they will answer, "Because they have forsaken the covenant of the Lord their God and worshiped other gods and served them."

35:17
Therefore, thus says the Lord, the God of hosts, the God of Israel: Behold, I am bringing upon Judah and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem all the disaster that I have pronounced against them, because I have spoken to them and they have not listened, I have called to them and they have not answered.

To all those who think like me...

Jeremiah 46:19
Prepare yourselves baggage for exile,
O inhabitants of Egypt!
For Memphis shall become a waste,
a ruin, without inhabitant.

Now before you go thinking I've gone off the deep end of doom and gloom let me share with you some of the laws that were voted on last night in the election, and their results. Taken from www.cnn.com

1. Colorado: "Life from the Moment of Conception."
73% NO
27% YES

2. Michigan: "Allow Medical Marijuana"
63% YES
37% NO

3. South Dakota: "Limit Abortion"
55% NO
45% YES

The next one just blows my mind.

4. Washington: "Allow Dr. Assisted Suicide"
59% YES
41% NO


Now, I need to give the good news. I am not worried about our nation. I am concerned about some of the directions that we seem to be heading but I know above all else that God is in control and God has a purpose for whatever will happen. I have a deep and abiding love for my country, democracy, and the free market and, yes, I do think we may be headed down a path that jeopardizes these things but this is not the end. Furthermore, we as Christians have a mandate from God to pray for our leaders whether we agree with them or not. We also have a duty to not stand by silently if we see things that do not line up with Scripture. Therefore, it looks like this; we must pray for our leaders. That is, honest prayer that God will guide them. Then we must evaluate everything in light of God's Word. We may not be able to do much, but we must not be silent, especially when there are those who have no voice whatsoever. Jeremiah was not silent and we should take his example. Stand on the authoritative Word of God! There is hope, the Bible tells us that it remains, it still abides and our hope comes from Jesus Christ in whom we are more than conquerors!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Characteristics of a Godly Watchman Pt. 1: Vigilance

Characteristics of a Godly Watchman Pt. 2: Listening.

Characteristics of a Godly Watchman Part 3: Holy Anger.