Skip to main content

Was Jeremiah an American?

Over the past month or so my Thursday morning Bible reading has taken me through the book of Jeremiah. As I read the indicting words that He penned for God in this prophetic book I can't help but see more than a little bit of America in them. For instance, just today I was reading in chapter 35 and ran across the story of the Sons of Jonadab. Here was a family, or tribe, or clan that had been given a directive by their forefather not to drink wine;

"But they answered, 'We will drink no wine, for Jonadab the son of Rechab, our father, commanded us, 'You shall drink no wine, neither you nor your sons forever."

Now, before you think I'm getting ready to go off on an anti-alcohol tangent let me explain. What we discover later in the chapter is that it was not because they abstained from wine that they received blessings from God, it was because they were faithful to the command of their father. God tells Jeremiah that He is going to unleash His wrath on Israel because they had disobeyed Him time and time again and yet there was a family that held firm to one command from their earthly father. God says;

13b Will you not receive my instruction and listen to my words? declares the Lord. 14 The command that Jonadab the son of Rechab gave to his sons, to drink no wine, has been kept, and they drink none to this day, for they have obeyed their father's command. I have spoken to you persistently, but you have not listened to me.

Followed by;

17b Behold, I am bringing upon Judah and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem all the disaster I have pronounced against them, because I have spoken to them and they have not listened, I have called to them and they have not answered.

My question is this; with all the "progress" that we believe we have made in this modern world. With all the philosophical and scientific breakthrough, with a few thousand years separating us, have we really come so far from the Israelites? I would wager, "no." If you have just a few more moments I would like to illustrate why I thus believe.
If the doctor tells us to lay off of the salt because we have high blood pressure and we will soon find ourselves on life support, what do we do? We do not hesitate to rush home and cleanse the house of all forms of sodium chloride. We listen to the doctor.
What if the latest study shows that eggs are bad for us? We rush to the store to stock up on "Egg Beaters." We listen to the scientist.
What if God tells us not to have premarital sex? We not-so-politely usher Him to the door and proclaim with loud voices that "We have risen above such prehistoric notions about sex!!"
What if God tells us not to lie, covet, steal, murder? What if God tells us that man was made for woman, and woman for man? What if God tells us that following our sinful nature leads to death? Finally folks, what if God tells us that His Son and the shedding of His blood is the only way to spend eternity with Him? We do not listen to God. Let me be very clear on this, we do not listen to God.
The first chapter of the book of Romans gives us the same message from God that Jeremiah does. If we don't listen to God we will suffer. I will not reproduce the passage in its entirety here but please read it. Over and over in this passage we are given lists of things that "men" exchanged God for such as; images, worshiping the creature rather than the Creator, unnatural sexual relations, etc. Do you know what God did? "He gave them up." Now they, "receive in themselves the due penalty for their error."
If the doctor told you how to avoid getting an STD, you would do it. If the judge told you how to avoid going to jail, you would do it. If Oprah told you how to live a better life, you would do it. God tells us all these things in His Word, from beginning to end. We don't do it.

Though they know God's decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

Sound familiar?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Characteristics of a Godly Watchman Pt. 1: Vigilance

Most everyone has heard an alarm go off. It may be something as mundane as the alarm clock every morning that tells us it is time to get up and get ready for work, or it may be something as frightening as a fire alarm. No matter what the specific purpose of the alarm they all share one common theme: they are meant to alert people and warn them of impending danger.

In Joel 2:1 the Lord commands the prophet to; Blow a trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm on My holy mountainbecause the day of the Lord is coming. That is, God’s judgment is coming upon Israel for their sinfulness. Further along in the chapter, in verse 15, Joel is again commanded to blow a trumpet but this time it is to call the assembly of the people together so that they can, consecrate a fast. This tells us two important things about the role, or the duty, of the prophet of God. First, it tells us that the prophet is to act as an alarm to warn the people of God’s coming judgment. Secondly, the prophet is also to be the mo…

A Letter to Christian Girls.

Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised. Proverbs 31:30

Tonight my wife has been asked to speak to a group of Christian girls on the issues of dating, purity, relationships, etc. As part of that, the youth pastor of this church asked if I would write a letter to the group of young women from a guy's point of view. Now, I can't say as I remember ever having written a letter to a group of teenage girls but I do have some pretty strong feelings about the way our culture has portrayed love, marriage and particularly women. So, what I would like to do in this post is reproduce for you some of this letter. I may add some here and subtract some there but I want this to be my letter to all the Christian, young ladies out there.



What I want to do, through this letter, is share some things from a “guys” point of view because it’s no secret that we see things a little differently than you ladies do. You may think that all we think about …

My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter?

Have you ever seen that bumper sticker? The one that says "My boss is a Jewish carpenter." I certainly have and generally when I see it I quietly agree with the driver and take the encouragement that comes with seeing a fellow soldier in the Lord's army. Just this evening, though, I had a thought as I was driving home from Bible study. "Should Jesus be my boss?" Now before you go casting judgment on the thought let me explain what I mean. I propose that instead if being a "boss" we should be looking at God and Christ as "Master." I'll explain by looking at some differences in the idea of boss and master.

Difference #1: Why were you hired?

When an individual is hired for a job by an employer it is for a specific reason. Perhaps a particular skill, talent or level of education qualifies someone for a particular job. The employer hires the person that is the most qualified to fulfill the task. Granted, this is the way it is supposed to work. …